Sudbury's Longest Running Taxi Service
The business was established in 1946 by founder Cyril Woods of Ballingdon St, who ran the original Sudbury Taxi, also owned the local Butchers Shop, as well running an ambulance service.
At this time the business consisted of three Austin A70's and a Humber Pullman.
Due to the lack of communication in these early days, a light flashed on the side of Cyril's house to inform his drivers a booking had been taken for them.
Some of our existing customers still recall Cyril taking them on trips to the seaside, and him driving them to the Church on their Wedding Day.
If anyone has any stories to tell, or any photographs of Cyril, or Woods Taxis early days, we would love to hear from you.
In 1976 Ken and Joy Pople entered into a Partnership in the running of Woods Taxis, Until the late 1980's when they became Sole Owners.
In 1986, Ken and Joy's eldest son Lee acquired his first Taxi, and joined the Family Business, followed some years later by younger brother Spencer who side stepped into the courier side of the firm.
In 2005 Ken and Joy took their well deserved semi-retirement and the business is now headed by Lee and his wife Lesley.